Monday, September 20, 2004

10 Sleeps!

Well, this girl I know who is really cool started a blog. And I thought that I would copy her because that's what I do best.

So I'm leaving for 6 months. To Russia for the first 3. (PEI for the second half, but I'll ramble about that later)
Russia politically, not so much geographically. The place is called Kaliningrad (Калининград), and it used to be Königsberg, which was the capital of East Prussia, which was a province of Germany. It's between Lithuania and Poland. The history is amazing and complicated and tragic.

I didn't even know this place existed until I found out I was going there. I mean.. um .. I did extensive research and then decided this place was right for me..

I am in the process of learning Russian, which is very complicated. Калининград !! for example. My favourite cyrillic letter is definately the "d" sound, which is д, I think it looks like some type of insect. It's gonna just run out of the word any second and we'll be forced to say Kaliningra.. and it'll be trouble.. people will ask where the "d" sound went and I'll tell them it just ran away..with its little D-LEGS.

I was at Steve's housewarming party on Friday and I met a very cool girl from Russia. She tought me an important vulgar expression and now I feel much better about my lacking Russian skills. Quality, not quantity I suppose.

The closer I get to leaving, the more stressed out, excited and neurotic I'm getting. It seems that the most difficult things I've taken on seem to be the most worthwhile, so I guess difficulty is a good sign. The best analogy I've heard so far is that the worst case scenario will probably be like a bad hair cut. It's a mad panic and then after a couple days you adjust to the change. I'm sure everybody can relate to a bad hair cut, right? The hardest part will be saying bye.. to my stereo.. and my friends and family and my job. (starts sarcastic sobbing over the job)

1 comment:

Tessa said...

First comment on your first entry. I feel pretty darn happy about that.

You are going to have the most awesome time ever in the land of Anastasia. I am tres jealous for your interest and commitment to going, makes us mere mortals accomplishments seem so trivial. Have a fab time, and don't forget those silly bridge things.