Tuesday, June 28, 2005

It's all Gone Pete Tong

Yesterday i didn't have to come to work, because I was at Multicultural Day sitting at a table for Canada World Youth watching the zombies without any fashion sense scurry through on their coffee breaks.. I had to talk about how great Canada World Youth is, and how everybody should do it, and sing! and dance! And I even met some guy who went to Charlottetown, and we had a good chat about the advanced recycling system and the McLobsters and island directions.. (turn right at Doctor McLeod's house.. and hang a left on the corner where Billy's dog died.. .. but there's no sign on the doctor's house.. oh it's cause Dr. McLeod died 36 years ago....basically if you haven't lived there for the past 154 yrs, you have no way of understanding directions. Luckily the island is only 7 km across and has 1 set of lights.._)

Anyways, Tuesday nights.. the night to win a bike at the perro negro. It's harder than it looks.

Last week, I met this dude (he assured me he wasn't a deadbeat and he was VERY sincere.. so all I really know about him is that he is a deadbeat and he's insincere) well anyways this dude was walking down Whyte ave a few weeks ago and the next thing he remembers was being in a hospital. He apparantly passed out and doesn't remember anything between.. and some guy came up to him at the pero negro and was like "oh man! you were the guy passed out on the sidewalks for a LONG time and NOBODY helped you! Nobody.. not one person.. eventually a bus driver called an ambulance.. but you were there for quite awhile." and then this insincere deabeat was like "what? a long time? nobody helped? why didn' t you help? you obviously saw the whole thing happen!".. he was pretty distraught. He says he didn't look homeless that day, and he could have died you know? and nobody would have cared enough to go and see if he was okay.. it's quite alarming really.. I like to think I would have helped him, but deep down I know I probably wouldn't have cared either..

In non-people being dead on the inside news, TEssa is coming to town! Like Santa, but less beard, and no song.. although I guess we could make one. I haven't seen her in 11 months.. and it seems like yesterday. This is all very exciting.

What's a seg weigh? ten pounds.

Okay, more people being dead on the inside news.. THE Edmonton Sun--what's up? there's a box near my house, and I always read the headlines. I've come to the conclusion that they ALWAYS have one of the following words in them:
KILL, RAPE, DEAD, DEATH, MURDER, SEX, RAPE, ASSAULT, SEXUAL ASSAULT, HOCKEY, KILLED, BURNT ALIVE, ACCIDENT, RAPED AND BURNT ALIVE AT A HOCKEY GAME
Okay, I'm exagerrrating a bit.. there was actually one day where none of these words appeared, but there were 2 girls on top of eachother. In what looked like a rugby game. It's nice to see them acknowleding local hardworking athletes.

So, I guess that's the news.. but if that's the news, I don't care about the news. If I were to spend 10 minutes of my day reading about what's happening in the world, I wouldn't want it to be that some girl living in an apartment down the street from me was robbed and beaten and had her arms cut off..(that didn't actually happen.. well, actually I don't know, cause I haven't been reading the paper) I mean knowing this won't change anything. It's terrible, for sure. But if you start acknowledging everything terrible that happens, then.. you'd be pretty busy.. and depressed.
And, if something like this happend to me, I'm not sure if I'd want everybody and their dog to be reading about the gory details of my trauma as they drink coffee and eat Lucky Charms..

well, i have a feeling tonight will be the night to win a bike. I have "blowing in the wind" in my head.. Actually, I'm not sure if that's what the song is called, but the words go something like "the answer is blowing in the wind." and well.. I always imagine "answers" flying around and knocking people out.. like the answer is really just some random debris.. I wonder if tht's what Bob Dylan thought when he was writing the song..

No comments: