Tuesday, April 19, 2005

epinephrine

"do you know why I like chocolate chip cookies?"

no, why?

"They have chocolate chips in them"

oh

"Do you know why I like chocolate chips?"

no, why?

"they have chocolate in them"

Children are the future, and that's why I love this logical discussion between a 4 year old playschooler named George and myself which happened on Friday afternoon.

This past weekend, I baby-sat my cousins in Calgary. Friday I got to be the "special helper" and kick it old school with 12 playschoolers.. one thing that I was a bit perplexed about was that 5/12 of them have deathly allergies. So they have to be quarantined during snack time so they don't die or something. I know nuts have always been an issue, but this class cummulatively is allergic to strawberries, dairy, soy products, tomatoes, carrots, meat products and of course nuts.. why is this? Was this always the case and I just don't remember? Somebody please clue me in.

My cousins are adorable, and I know that everybody says that about every kid, but it's cause it's true. I brought them to Chinatown in Calgary and they kept calling it Chinese-city. Georgia had a metal coffee travel mug and 4 stuffed dogs with her as we cruised around on the C-Train. She was a little slow, with all her loot, but she was in no rush at all.. she kept singing and bopping her head.. and talking to her 4 puppies; megan, boomer, browner and rosie. Laura has grown about 2 feet since I saw her last and has picked up a novel skill: reading. She's also developped the ability to foresee consequences and clean up after herself. I was impressed.

In Calgary, I was also able to meet up with Ryan, one of my CWY Big bro's. He brought us to Peter's Drive In and we had a good chat. It's cool that he lives so close, I think this weekend encounter was the first reunion within our whole group. Honestly, spending the whole afternoon with him made me miss everybody...

A clever boy once told me that people are like composts, and you should just take all your experiences and put them in your compost and let them decompose and use whatever is leftover to grow and prepare for future experiences. My compost scheme was working quite efficiently.. but this reunion business is slowing down the process. I guess it's not a bad thing..

Last Thursday I went to Stammtisch, which is always an enjoyable time.. German + beer. It's really the perfect combination. I somehow managed to become the President of the German club for the upcoming school year. I didn't get voted in or anything, so I guess I'm actually the Dictator of the German club for the upcoming school year. Nowadays, I hear they're the same thing..

My dad has turned into Mr. Fitness and woke me up at 5:30am so I could go to the gym with him this morning. Yet another opportunity for me to confirm that I am not a morning person.

I'm very proud of myself, because I finally finished cd's for Galya and Ricky.. and stuck them into the mailbox headed for RUSSIYA!!! It only took me 3 months for Ricky's. But he is just a Swede stuck in a Russian exclave.

No comments: