Saturday, February 05, 2005

It's common knowledge that convenient stores should be convenient

Okay, here's a blob of blog for you all. (I was tempted to say "for you's" but I stopped myself)

Convenience stores. Charlottetown needs some convenience stores. There's one near our work that's called a convenient store. Except it opens at 9:30am and closes at 10pm. I would call this an inconvenient store. Very inconvenient store.

Liquor stores are also very inconvenient here, because they close at like an early time that I can't remember that I think it is silly. Supply and Demand! Whatever happened to supply and demand? Not that I'm really demanding alcohol, but if I was, it probably wouldn't be between 9 to 6.

Oh yeah, just a note about common knowledge. Did you know there's no such thing as common knowledge?
For example, the Russians (well the few I've asked) don't know who Nelson Mandela is, and they have no idea about the AIDS pandemic in Africa or anywhere else..

Some people claim it's necessary to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, and some people claim it's necessary to NOT rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Both sides are pretty adamant that their way is better for time management, economical and environmental reasons.

Should you let your car idle when it's cold outside? "too much pollution" if you do, "bad for your engine if you don't.

Should bananas and oranges (the outside of them or any part for that matter) be washed? In Russia, I heard claims that it's absolutely necessary or you will die a horrible painful death. Can brocoli and mushrooms be eaten raw? (apparantly not within the boundaries of Germany or Russia, but if you fly across the ocean, it's perfectly safe under almost ALL circumstances)

I always thought a cup was about 250ml and 250ml is 250g, Regardless of what's inside. Did I make this up? (maybe this explains why I have the "black thumb" in the kitchen?)

And who won the second world war?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was all like "yeah, I guess there's no such thing as common knowledge on a global scale, but there's lots of stuff that everybody in the English-speaking world knows..." until I got to the end of your post. Mls are volume, gs are weight, so though a cup of water does indeed weigh 250g, a cup of, say, gold dust probably weighs more, and a cup of butter less. Actually, a cup of butter weighs half a pound. How many gs are in a lb?
Amanda

Anonymous said...

PEI's liquor stores are, thank God, still crown corporations rather than privitized. While the hours of operation are shitty, the workers make union wages
versus minimum wage, and any profits go into social services versus the pockets of some Liquor Depot CEO in Toronto. Alberta sold our liquor stores in the '90s to make a fast buck and make the books look good that year and most people supported it so they could by booze at 2am. But, now we can't count on that continued income, hence the lack of money for health care and education. They did the same thing with PetroCan and Telus (used to be AGT), which were two multi-billion dollar crown corporations that assisted most of our needed social programs and public works--road work, parks and protected areas, etc. Alberta is debt free, but at the cost of an increased homeless population, increased alcohol-fueled crime, increased tuition, preimiums for seniors for healthcare, and longer wait-times in hospitals. Long live PEI!

As for the dishwasher: people still claim you have to rinse your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher because they grew up with the original, first-generation of dishwashers and first-generation dishwasher soap. Those first machines were pretty much useless (my Grandma had one) and they didn't have jetdry and stuff like that either. Dishwashers these days could clean an entire cake off of a plate. Believe me, I tried.

You should wash your fruit because of pesticides which sit on the surface. While it's not going to kill you, some people think eating pesticide is bad for you.

I don't know who "won" WWII, but I have a feeling the US is not winning the war in Iraq. But I'm sure an American would disagree with me, or tell me that I hate freedom.

-- Steve McQueen

amy said...

steve, What happened to cold hard capitalism? I thought that's what we've been fighting for and spreading around the world!! Unions, schmoonions, healthcare schmelthcare, education, feducation. Environment? Fenshrironment. Consumers rule (some common knowledge for ya) oh yeah thanks for the postcard. it's wicked wild.

and I understand the part about washing apples and pears (even though you'd actually have to use some kind of special soap or else scrub for 20 minutes to get off the pesticides) but I've never heard of washing bananas and oranges>!? have you?

And amanda, measurement issue = mind-boggling.

Anonymous said...

Amanda has the measurement thing explained pretty good. It's all about the density. And that is enough science for today. I have to get into artsy mode to do my OrgA assignment and study for my soc midterm. The last semester of engineering sure is fun!

Saskatchewan has the same liquor store problem. While Steve has some valid points, I really don't care about all of it when they are closed when you want to buy something and expensive when they are actually open.

I don't know if you're interested, but I'll add a link for my parents blog. I keep reading it and being jealous. It distracts me from working on school stuff. Kind of good, kind of bad. When do you come back here anyway? My brain was fried the other day and I thought "I should call Amy and we should go out and do something" and then I realized that was not possible. I was sad....and then I was just bored. So I thought instead about how it's a couple weeks away until I go to Vancouver. That should be fun.
Andrea

http://www.saskatoonie.blogspot.com/

Tessa said...

Just thought I'd add in, that with the current dishwasher that I have, which is fairly new (maybe three years) if I don't rinse my dishes before I put them in there is a whole bunch of crud that hangs out at the bottom. So I guess it just depends on your dishwasher.

And as some one who lives in a province where a majority of the liquor stores are owned by the government, I have to say it's a pain in the ass. Most of the stores close at 7, and they aren't open on Sundays. So annoying, especially on those years where New Years Eve falls on a Sunday.

But yeah. We should go see Hotal Rwanda.