Thursday, January 27, 2005

If I was President

Another week has passed, and I've decided the time has come to make yet another update to my blog. How exciting!?!!???

Monday, another snowed-in day. We slept most of the day and played "10 days in Africa," this really cool board game with our Kenyan host brother, Wycliff (also the name of the man who translated the bible into english in the 16th century my host mom just informed me).

Then Tuesday (after the big storm) our host dad gave us the idea to take the day off work and just go around shoveling people's walks who were snowed in (like the elderly and disabled for example) So we organized our group to come out and help. It was alot of fun being outside for most of the day, and we even made some money (which we won't keep, don't worry) and one team got some tea with a nice old lady. It was alot of snow, let me tell ya! (I can't believe I'm talking about the weather) Sorry Steve, I don't have any pictures yet but I'll take some for you.

Wednesday was work. We went with Mary Joan to a Human Rights presentation to single moms. They were a pretty spunky group, and it was interesting to spend an entire afternoon with them. They're like.. all you need to join our group is to have lots of kids, be between 19-35 and hate men. By the end of the presentation, they figured out that their rights have been violated over and over again because they 1. are women 2. have lots of babies 3. are poor 4. are un-educated. I learned why people always rambling stay-in-school-wear-a-condom-look-both-ways-before-crossing-the-street-drink-milk-don't-take-no-for-an-answer..

It's illegal in PEI to refuse someone housing becaue they have kids, unless your building is a registered seniors home.. but it's impossible for the majority of these women to find places to live. Okay, I admit, kids can be messy and loud and obnoxious, but last time I checked, so can adults, but their messiness, loudness and obnoxiousness is on a much larger scale.
And where would our society be without kids? People need to accept the reality that "childhood" and all the frightening things related to it cannot be avoided. Buy earplugs and stop making the lives of those less fortunate than you a living hell. Or not. Whatever.

Thursday I don't remember.. probably not that great I guess..
Oh wait, I went to Baba's Lounge, which is a quaint little pub with a live band. The place feels kinda like a house party.. It was fun. Met an interesting guy who works with "YEN" the Youth Environmental Network or something. I'm just wondering why decided to point out that the acronym for their name is actually the japanese currency. Secret link?

Friday was EAD on Health. I learned to floss my teeth more and that the Canadian Health care System is in need of some renovations. We had an amazing guest speaker. He's an AIDS activist/comedian/ person living with AIDS in PEI. He talked about the Healthcare system in PEI and was really really bitter for many many reasons, but he was absolutely hilarious. In his opinion, people with AIDS are put on the back burner because.. well.. they're gonna die anyways..(this man has been HIV positive for 14 years and looks fit and healthy) the sooner the better..(too bad the amount of people with aids is increasing in most parts of the world) it's better that all the gays especially die anyways..so they won't reproduce (gay mean won't necessarily produce GAY CHILDREN)
I wanted to laugh and hug the guy and cry and leave the room all within the course of an hour. He went in a few years ago to talk to the Health Minister and the minister said "aren't you dead yet?" Imagine how you'd feel after that. And this guy thought about responding.."OH NO I'M STILL ALIVE. And your son says hi" which some people might not find funny, but I found absolutely hilarioius.

Saturday, menu committee (which probably due to some bad-karma mix-up I managed to be a part of) had to plan the meals for our Mid-project. 3 days. 14 people. $280. It's the first time I've spend 4 hours in a grocery store. So how many loaves of bread do you think we need?

We just got back from skating and toboganning with the YEN dude. It was -3 out, so it was perfect weather for frolicking in the snow. Mid-Project is this week. We're staying at a boy scout camp for the e next 3 days (sans boyscouts I'm assuming) Maybe I'll have less venting about social issues in my next post. Only time will tell I guess.

No comments: