Tuesday, February 15, 2005

"Judging from your blog, your life must be pretty boring honey"

said the caring mother to her boring daughther.
Despite the fact that her tact can be mildly offensive, she is honest. There's no russian onion in the nose drunken taxi driver bribing border police fiascos on Prince Edward Island, but there are some cool things that have been happening around here. Unfortunately, many I don't feel comfortable sharing on the blog, because they are a) embarassing b) illegal (just kidding!)
c) offensive d) generally don't fall under the "things you want about you on the internet" category

That said, CULTURAMA 2005 was a huge success. It was Friday night and was huge celebration of different cultures and foods and blah blah blah get together and party it up. Galia choreographed a wonderful dance for our group. We were amateur Russian acrobat red-lipsticked dancers and we had a great time. I want to post some pictures when I can. And there was some singing and some Sri Lankan dude that I've seen play before and it just doesn't move me.. but also some lovely columbian dancers..
It was a fundraiser for CUSO and CWY and WUSC and Newcommers Association. It was cool to mingle with all the people that came out to support the event, and I was surprisingly able to recognize alot of the people. This place isn't very big, and the group of people that get involved in things seems to be involved in EVERYthing which is super cool. Plus as a CWYer I have a strange status.. we have our own little weirdo sub-culture/connection to the community.

(I just realized that when we talk about our group, we sound like a cult or an addictions treatment group.. "yeah, so like Saturday night I got together with my group and we sang some folk songs and did some group building activities and debriefed about it all and now I'm like totally feeling like I'm growing within the group and as an individual")
I say that in the nicest way possible, because I'm Canadian, and therefore inherently "nice". (Sorry about that. No, really I'm sorry. Really sorry. Thanks for listening though. Sorry I keep saying sorry. It's just so hard not to when I'm this nice.)

Saturday night was a pot-luck at the supervisors house. I've decided that all pot-lucks taste the same.. all the good tastes of the variety of food are cancelled out by the shear abundance of it all. Did you know that pot-lucks in Switzerland are called Canadian suppers?

Sunday, we went to.. HALIFAX. Our host dad had a meeting there on Monday, so they stayed in a super zany hotel (I point this out only because Oscar Wilde stayed there which compelled me to steal a pen) and we stayed in the super youthful exciting hostel across the street. Same staff as when I was there in January. Same staff as when I was there in October. We met a guy from Jamaica/England/Vancouver.. and he was really interesting to chat with. Kingston Jamaica has more murders than all of Canada. who knew?
He said that he thinks Canadians are more similar to Europeans than they are to Americans, and I disagreed.. trust me I didn't want to, but I felt it was necessary to point out that he'd been living in Vancouver. (The East side, but he doesn't know the Swollen Members. It's a pity, because I was depending on them to be leading any future revolutions)

So yeah, we saw the Alexander Keith's Brewery, the ocean, the shops, the Archive centre (Galia's into the historic archives scene..and oh what a scene it is) We went to the lower deck and saw signall hill. Same thing I did the first time I went to Halifax. Deja Vu in a very literal sense.

We stopped at Wendy's in Truro and everybody made fun of me because I knew my way around Wendy's so well. I knew what was in all salads, where to get cream for my coffee, what a "frosty" was. I guess Wendy's is just part of my identity.

One last thing for Steve, just to make this post extra long. Galya and I gave up alcohol for lent. I'm anticipating us giving up lent for alcohol in the future, but so far, we've been doing awesome.

1 comment:

geekbot said...

Good for you! Giving up something for lent is a good character building decision, not to mention alcohol (next to cigarettes and chocolate) is probably on of the toughest ones to quit; but then again, (as indicated in your previous post) the liquore store hours don't really make it the most "convenient" place to go shopping. :P