Wednesday, December 01, 2004

hibernating?

Well, work has been cancelled for the entire week. This is kind of exciting for me. Not that I don't like working.. okay it is that I don't like working.

Freedom is exhilirating!! I don't even know what to do with myself. I've been drinking tea and reading, and working out in our lovely little sport room. I went with Nastia, my work counterpart to Svitlagorsk, which is a town on the Baltic Sea and we walked around the beach and took a train back! (I love trains!!)

Today, after standing outside my office and realizing that work was cancelled, we went to visit Galia at her work and we drank some tea and gossiped and chatted and she returned to work and I walked home.

On the way, I saw a poster for Jim Barron, a dj who goes by the name "Crazy Penis" (to attract attention I'm assuming. Like the naked chef maybe.) Well, he's super awesome house dj (there might be 2 of them in Crazy Penis, but only this Jim guy is brave enough for Russian dance floors apparantly) from the UK who is coming to Kaliningrad this Friday!

Kaliningrad!! This is great news for me. I've been dying for some house music dancey dance goodness. No more Rap, hip hop R and B soul whatever you wanna call it. No more top 40 or bottom 40 or anything in between. I want authentic dance music. And hopefully the tickets won't cost me and arm and a leg and my liver either.

But yeah, I wanted to say something about this Jim Barron/Crazy Penis entity. I discovered them when our Shambhala camping neighbors were playing them non-stop for the entire Shambhala weekend. Well, they alternated between Armand van Helden (MY MY MY) and Crazy Penis (COME ON!) for about 40 hrs. straight, and I was evangelized by the end.
I tried to track down some of their music, but I was only met with teenage HMV staff blushing when I made my request for the latest "Crazy Penis" mix.


It's kind of cool how I discovered this wonderful music blasting from our neighbors mini-van at a music festival in the middle of BC in the dusty Salmo River Ranch during the massive dance under the stars,swim in the river raver-hippy shakedown this summer.
And then I re-discover it, but this time blaring from the speakers of a very capitalist club in the former Soviet Union in the dead of of the crip Baltic Sea winter. Co-incidence? Am I reading into this too much due to my over-dose of herbal tea and soup?? That's for you, the reader, to decide.

And luckilly, my grandpa, who I adore, has been printing all my posts and creating a book. Maybe I'll try to write something intelligent in the future for his sake, for the sake of humanity..

Until then, I'm gonna go eat some soup. And maybe some more tea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ja genau Amy,
dein Großvater weiß schon "wo der Hase lang laeuft".
Erst veröffentlichen wir ein Buch und dann verfilmen wir deine Abenteuer.
Ich sollte deinen Großvater treffen und mich als Produzentin ausgeben.
Wer soll dann "Crazy Penis" darstellen, mhm?

Mach weiter so, wir brauchen mehr Stoff und bau keine Scheiße, ja?
BBQ-Master

Anonymous said...

I saw Crazy Penis at Core, which was the underground nightclub that Hard Rock Cafe ran in London the summer of 2001, when I worked there. It's an awesome awesome show. You'll love it!

Steve McQueen