Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Culturama

I feel a bit (as David Bowie would say) Under Pressure. I haven't posted in awhile cause I've been.. I'm not sure what I've been doing, waiting for the right time I suppose. Because I don't want to write just for the sake of writing, but rather because I have something to say. So now the pressure is on to say something entertaining and/or informative. Uh oh. And now I have David Bowie stuck in my head.

I have a cold. I have had one for awhile. And a few days ago it was much worse. My nose was running all over the place. (errands and stuff) Russians say that their brain is leaking when their nose is running, so I guess I could say my brain sprung a leak.
My host mom caught wind of my brain leakage and called me downstairs. (I thought I was in trouble, and I was right. But not the trouble I expected) I got into the kitchen, where she grabbed me and put a chunk of onions into each one of my nostrils. Now, for the full effect of this story, I think it might be necessary for everybody to get up right now and go put onions up their nose. And leave them there for a few minutes. My eyes started watering, and I started crying from the burning pain. So there I was my brain leaking all over the place.. from my eyes and from my nose.. and my Russian mom and sister are telling me to sneeze, cause after you sneeze that means you can take the onion out. Now, everybody sneeze. Can you sneeze on command? Have you ever heard of anybody sneezing on command? Maybe at the circus you might find people who can sneeze on command. Next to the bearded lady, I'm not sure.

Eventually the onions got out of my nose and I could taste onions for the rest of the week dripping from my sinuses. I'll admit, I did feel a bit better though. Russian Healthcare System.

Sunday, our mom asked me to cook a Canadian meal. I thought this would be pretty straight-forward. I chose Spaghetti. Simple, tasty, and the ingredients are relatively inexpensive. So Val, Galia and I set out for the grocery store. I find ground beef. Galia suggests ground chicken, (which I didn't even know existed) I get mushrooms and broccoli, Galia suggests cucumbers and celery. I get long noodles, Galia suggests crazy curly ones. I grab some parmasan cheese, Galia replaces it with Gouda. Finally, I get some tomato paste to make tomato sauce with, Galia suggests some ketchup with garlic in it. The ketchup was where I drew the line.
I wasn't home for supper that night, so I didn't have to taste the final product, which I knew would taste a bit off (or waaay off). Ekaterinberg/Canada spaghetti. (Galia kept calling it lasagna. Whatever.. what's in a name, anyways?)

I thought about leaving out the meat from the sauce all together, and maybe replacing it with beans, but I knew that I would be labelled a tree-hugging environmentalist lesbian vegan free-loving bead wearing left-wing radical and would get awkward stares for the rest of my days.

The mom watched us cook it up and told us what spices to put in (Is sugar a spice?) and how to do things properly. I guess when they say "cook us a Canadian meal", the really mean "we want to see how you would cook a Canadian meal if you were given the opportunity and then stare and scrutinize and take over and do it for you cause you obviously have no idea what the hell you're doing" It's probably better that way anyways. I probably would have blown up with house with the gas stove. With great power comes great responsability, right? So no power = no responsability. And no stress.

Overall, the spaghetti/lasagna event was fun. I was reminded of Mike, my old roomate who loved spaghetti and ate it pretty much everyday throughout the entire school year. I was also reminded of pre-made tomato sauces that are available in Canada with all possible spices and combinations, even organic if that's what your heart desires. And no, you don't have to be a hippy enjoy organic tomato sauce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Onions, eh? My mom puts garlic in her nose when she has a cold, and I think that is one of the most disgusting things ever, especially when she takes it out and has to dispose of the snotty garlic...shudder.

("Thank you for sharing, Amanda. That is more information than I ever wanted."

"You're welcome. Would you like some garlic?")

I prefer to eat raw garlic in great quantity when I have a cold, swallowing small chunks like pills when I'm not in the mood for garlic-and-ajvar on toast or a garlic-tomato sandwich. That and no dairy, none at all, because dairy apparently makes you stuffy. By this magical method, combined with enough sleep, I managed to shake my last cold completely in SIX DAYS. I should have an infomercial.

The only problem is you can't really exercise with that much garlic in your system without it all leaking out and smelling like stale sweaty garlic, and since your nose is no longer stuffy because you haven't eaten any dairy, you can smell the smell more strongly than anyone else becuase it follows you around. But it only lasts for six days.

Sometimes I tell my kids at work that the reason I can't remember their names after six weeks of coaching them is that my brain got overloaded at school that day and escaped out my ear and ran away. Or fell out when I was demonstrating forward rolls for them. But a leaky brain--that's new.

Maybe when kids pick their noses, I will tell them, "You feel that skin inside your nose? That's what holds your brain in. If you do that, you will poke a hole in it and your brain will leak out." Maybe if I tell them that story they won't be so germy all the time and I won't get so many colds.

Tessa said...

Merry Christmas!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ditto!
Amanda again

geekbot said...

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!
Looking forward to hearing more from you!
Your blog rocks! ;)