Sunday, October 17, 2004

Greenwitch time

HA! I just finished my first weekend at my new house. Entirely enjoyable. (just thought I'd throw in some alliteration there to keep you all on your toes) Saturday we hosted a party at our house. My brother wanted to meet the crew and compare our group to his group last year. We all drank way too much vodka and cheap beer and by 8:30pm, we were a little "piani" as the Russians would say. I guess maybe next time we should start later or drink slower or drink less or find vodka that isn't $5 a bottle so we'll have a reason to slow down or drink less. We did some quality dancing, as the party took place in our garage. Even Nikita (my one and a half year old brother)was dancing. So cute. He was cute the whole night, except when he spit up chocolate cake into his cup.. i think that's a russian thing. or a baby thing. whatever.

Before the party, I was having a conversation with my "sister" who is also Nikita's mom. She's about 23 I think. When I say having a conversation, I mean she was talking and laughing and I was smiling and noding and throwing random russian words that I can remember. regardless of whether or not they make any sense in that context. or in any context for that matter.
So before I knew it, I was in her bedroom with a brush and bobby pins, mascara and hairspray and I was doing her hair and make-up. Without any words, I managed to inadvertently convince her that I could do her hair and make-up. She wanted it done up, cause she was heading out on the town. I learned that day that hair styling and make-up defy all culture barriers. Later she told me (via a translator) that we could be friends even though she never understands anything I say. Then she asked me if I wanted to smoke opium with her. She was joking, but this tells me that she has a sense of humor, and that the russian word for opium is the same as the english word for opium. Which I think is good to know.

I have to say I enjoyed this bonding moment with her, and it makes me want to learn some more russian words so I can surprise her with something really smart like "nice weather we're having, don't you think?" "are you up for some more opium smoking?"

Today the whole crew went out for a bbq to the Baltic Sea. It was so windy on the beach you could hardly stand up. And you couldn't hear what anybody was saying because the waves were too loud. good fun. We made a fire in the forest area and ate some russian meat. and all in all, it felt really good to get some fresh air. Max(a participant from quebec) tried to teach me Chinese on the way back, so now I've reached my weekend academic quota too. hen ho ma. Shanghai. Beijing. (He's a terrible teacher btw.)

Tomorrow I start my new job. 9:30am. Should be fun. I don't think fun is the word I'm looking for. Those of you who have or have had jobs I think can relate to whatever the word is that I might be thinking of. Not necessarily a negative word, just something other than "fun."

The only thing I'm not enjoying very much is that people drive like lunatics here. Pedestrian signs don't really mean anything and there's no lanes drawn on the roads so the cars just weave in and out wherever they see fit. Add in some trams and trolley busses and you've got traffic terror (yet another alliteration i should really be a poet) So whenever I cross the street, I start singing "die young stay pretty" It helps me cope.

I talked to JENN and my mom and Dad and brother today (for the first time), and that felt really good. Thanks for being home, guys.

My address here is
TELMANA 44a
20036008
KALININGRAD, Russia

no bombs please, unless it's lip balm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you really want lip balm? Do the Russians not need it?
I'll have to mail you something now i have your address, but I don't think it will be bombs or balms. I'll come up with something interesting
Andrea