Wednesday, October 13, 2004

BLACK MAGIC BLACK MAGIC

Today I get to go to meet my work placement people. I'm working in the BIDA office, and BIDA happens to be the organization that also organizes (to sound especially repetitive cause organizations organize organizational organizing organs) this program. Baltic International Development Association. Acronyms are gay.
The founder (IGOR) copied CIDA (Canadian International Development Association) except one is like a thousand people and this one is six people. I'm supposed to build them a webpage, which is pretty awesome cause I have alot of experience doing that. OH WAIT I'M THINKING OF SOMEBODY ELSE. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I'M DOING.

My luggage finally arrived. I went to the airport with my boss (IGOR) who is also the supervisor of the program.. and we picked it up. The guy working there tried to convince me that it wasn't my luggage and I wanted to kick him in the face. Eventually he let me take it. Who else tries to duct tape their bag so it won't burst open and then runs out of duct tape 3/4 of the way around??

Igor told me some great stories.. He was in Toronto once on Jonge street and he decided he wanted to find big black drug dealers so they could teach him slang.. so he asked around for the "ghetto" and was eventually pointed to some guys standing around a fire and he went up to them and said, "Yo wuzzup bro?" Not, "what's up", but "wuzzup". So these guys just starting laughing hystirically. Igor explained his attemps at learning slang. They cut him some slack, probably cause Igor was dressed in a suit and had a Russian accent. People always tell him that this is the stupidest thing he's ever done, but I think it's kinda cool. Hilarious. and cool.

My "brother" Val the other evening took us out to 2 bars and then to smoke a water bong and then to smoke some Lotus leaves. He seems very eager to keep us entertained. Works for me. And Galya.

The honeymoon phase of culture shock seems to be slowly dying.. and I'm getting into the "I hate not understanding anything and feeling scared and lost and out of place and missing home phase" which is painful, but seems to be inevitable and hopefully short.





1 comment:

Tessa said...

I'm glad you got your clothes. The thought of all those beautiful black T-shirts sitting in a suitcase and not being worn, was almost too much to bear.

I'm missing you like crazy these days. Mostly because I'm crazy and I could really use a calm voice of reason. Also I was hoping you could tell me why the rational voice in my head, is yours....