Monday, August 01, 2005

Do Make Say Think

Monday, August 1, 2005. Civic Holiday for everybody. Not for us, though. I looked it up in the company policies.. and this day is not a holiday. To make it up to us, our boss will take us all swimming at lunch. I guess that's acceptable..

This morning, I decided to do something completely crazy, and eat breakfast! I went to pull out some jam from the fridge (seemed like a realistic goal at the time) and while grabbing the jam, I managed to knock out 2 beer bottles and a bottle of salad dressing. So, if you ever need to throw up in the future, I recommend mixing very garlicky salad dressing with 2 bottles of Corona. Add some glass in there so you can get little cuts and you're ready for anything. So now my house reeks like this concoction I just described. . . i ignored the mess for awhile hoping it would disappear, but.. eventually i had to clean it up. I opened all my windows to hopefully help with the smell.. so probably when i get home all my stuff will be gone.. when i say "all my stuff" i mean a stereo and a blender.. my most expensive posessions..

I had my work computer with me on the weekend, and I thought I should take the bus cause my computer's kinda heavy for my bike. Plus I had my swimming stuff... so I go out to wait for the bus.. and soon realized that today's a holiday!!!!!! there were no busses.. well not my bus anyways.. and there were even very few cars. So I hauled my butt back home, re-packed my stuff and headed out again, on my bike. (my mom gave me her bike btw, as mine is officially missing) I made it to work, and all the parking lots around here are empty. Cause nobody is working, man! It's a holiday? Did I mention that? I wanna go swimming right now!

(Even the light in the fish tank is out which means even the office fish have a holiday!)

I went canoeing yesterday with my parents and one of my brothers. We started in Devon, and went all the way to Emily Murphy Park. It was really cool to see Edmonton, as if I was part of the river. (how post-modern.. tee hee)
anyways I saw the big bridge on 23rd Ave.. which has no roads leading to it yet, and I discovered that there's a pedestrian bridge between Hawrlak park (spelling?) and Laurier Park (I think) This could be useful for the future. My brother and I pretended that we were coureurs de bois and we tried to scare all the seagulls (or rivergulls as I like to call them)
I got a weird sun-burn. Pretty much half of my lower arm is bright red, and the rest is.. well the normal colour of my skin.

I'm really upset (well, i'm exagerrated.. kind of upset.. maybe not even upset..more like slightly disappointed) that I missed Fred Everything. He played at Y, and I wasn't up for an all nighter before coming to work.. although I probably would have been just as effective on 0 hrs. of sleep as I am now. I hear he's coming to Calgary on Labour Day weekend. Only 300km away. I could ride my bike!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Civic Holiday? What's that supposed to be? We have no such thing in Quebec. Is it just another excuse not to go to work or what? Lazy Canadians.... ;)

Tessa said...

Sorry you had to work. Even I got the day off (which was more of a fluke than anything, my meeting got canceled).

The canoeing sounds like a lot of fun.
And I hope the smell in the apartment diappears in the next three weeks, or else you are going to have to deal with many passive-aggressive remarks from your new roommate.

amy said...

hey ac, i have no idea what a civic holiday is.. and do you mean lazy albertans?? cause if you say lazy Canadians, I think that includes you too.. unless.. quebec is no longer part of CAnada.... ; )

don't worry tessa, apartment is smelling lavender-like as of yesterday.. who knew lavender plants were more powerful than beer and garlic?!?

Anonymous said...

All Right AMy... I just didn'T want to specify "LAzy English Canadians"...I remember Jenn and Jess talking about that when we were discussing Canadian Culture EAD... both knew there was a Civic holiday in their province, without knowing what it really stands for.

And Yes...Quebec is still part of Canada... And Yes..I am still a part of Quebec, even though I wish I wasn't from time to time.

- the girl who kinda lost faith in her so-called people