Monday, March 28, 2005

back to reality oop there goes gravity-you know you're a loser when you start quoting eminem..probably incorrectly too

I miss Galya and the rest of my big disfunctional CWY extended family and host family. Just thought I'd get that out of the way. The canadian government organizes things up really nicely so you're forced to get along with 14 random people from across the world. and then once you all bond and become a big disfunctional cwy extended family, they break the whole thing up. I should write a letter and complain.

I'm in Lethbridge visiting my grandparents/extended blood family at the moment. Everybody came over to my grandparents for Easter dinner, and it was delicious of course. But it was strange to see so many people I hadn't seen in so long in such a short period of time. I got made fun of for not cutting cake properly, not having a job, having holes in my socks (which clearly related to not having a job) not enjoying the sport of curling (unlike EVERYBODY else in the family), and being so messed up that I'm prolonging graduating from University. Alas, it feels good to be home. In all honesty, though, my family does keep me grounded. It's good to be around people that question what you do.. it keeps you on your feet and forces you to think about what the heck you actually are doing.

I've been reading some books my grandpa has about alternative medicines and home remedies.. it seems everybody has some sort of health issue, so while they talk about the various ailments and I reflect about my own ailments, namely caffeine addiction and insomnia (or inability to get off of PEI time), I read about what the hell causes all these things and what you can do to help.. and the one theme running throughout the entire book is to eat a healthy diet, exercise, and listen to your body. Who knew? Did anybody know this? And also keep lavender oil (but don't put it in your eyes) handy. The VERY best cure I found was called the "2 hat method" to cure colds. You sit at the table and take off your hat. Then you start drinking whiskey. Keep drinking whiskey until you see 2 hats instead of one. Once 2 hats are visible, go to your bed and sleep. If you don't have a hat handy, you could use a scarf or a salt shaker.

My aunt is taking a class in Sustainable Community Development at the U of C and it pretty much sounds like the coolest class ever and I want to take it RIGHT NOW!

Well, I'm gonna be back in Edmonton in a few days and I'm really really looking forward to seeing a bunch of folks and catching up..

5 comments:

geekbot said...

Yeah, the government does strange things; not to mention strange things to you. Oh well, can't live with 'em, can't do CWY without 'em. Don't worry about your family thinking your weird, I thought mine was just as crazy when I visited for Easter; I guess its only natural when you spend so much time apart in such different worlds. I'm sorry to hear about the "insomnia/being stuck on PEI time" thing; I have problems sleeping rather frequently and its no fun. I suppose being caffeine addicts doesn't help. (On a side note, I just found out that Molson is releasing a caffeinated beer... just what we needed, eh? :D)

I hope you had a happy Easter week-end, and I hope you have fun back home in Edmonton. I miss you too.

Your "dissfunctional" CWY brother,
~JF~

PS: You really should like curling more. :P

Anonymous said...

Sustainable community development? Buncha damn hippies if you ask me. I knew you were one of us!

amy said...

hooray amanda! i love it! i need to email you about your organic farming class..

Tessa said...

You are Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Amy, I miss you too!!!!!
I really do!