Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Witchy

Today is Wednesday. I slept in, didn't eat breakfast, the bus wouldn't stop for me cause it was full, (it's like a van-bus that can only seat 8 people.. it's always full it seems) One of those days. I'm sure everybody can relate. So I'll update the blog, instead of working. I predict this will make me feel better.

Monday was a holiday, because it was the celebration of the Russian Revolution of 1917. Sunday Bloody Sunday, I think U2 wrote a song about this. But the government wants to abolish the holiday, and move the Nov 7 holiday to Nov 4, celebrating an obscure day in 1612 when Moscow was freed from Polish occupation..(you all remember this day, right? 1612.. it was raining out and you forgot your umbrella?)
The majority of Russians are opposed to this. Apparantly, there's tons of gatherings on this day (the 7th). I'm not sure if people are partying to celebrate the Bolcheviks or to celebrate not having to work. (I know I was celebrating the Bolcheviks fersure)

There's also some controversy as to whether or not they should remove the huge Lenin statue in the middle of the centre square. Lenin was kind of a big jerk, depending on which history books you read, and maybe doesn't deserve to stand in the middle of the square looking down at everybody. But his influence is significant, cause it kind of affected alot for Russians and the rest of the world. Personally I think it's more exciting for tourists to keep it up. And really, that's all that matters, right?

Speaking of Lenin, and him affecting alot of things of historical significance, yesterday was the 15th anniversary of the Berlin Wall coming down. Anna says we should drink to that. I agree. Prost!! Deutsch Vergnuegen Ueberall!!

By the way, how can you use a banana as a compass?? Just put it on the berlin wall (if they hadn't torn it down exactly 15 yrs ago that is) and see which side has a bite taken out of it..

Tomorrow I am going to AIESEC (like a student internship organization.. they have one in Kaliningrad AND at the U of A and at a billion other cities..) to interview people to see if their english is good enough to go to an english working environment. Should be interesting I think. Maybe I can get bribes.. (which is apparantly common in the russian system so I shouldn't be joking about it)

I'm looking forward to getting yelled at in Russian for trying to take pictures of bananas at the grocery store.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, I will get send some info to you later, while you can check out the web-site of the regional development agency, they do sort of things you described http://www.kaliningrad-rda.org
Cheers,
Vadim